One of the things I noticed about Hell or High Water was the quiet running social commentary about corruption/inequality. Am re-watching the movie to look for things in the background or comments made:
- Graffiti on bank wall: “3 tours in Iraq, but there is no bailout for me.”
- Town had a “Closing” sign on one business, several others fenced off and “Sale” signs. A poor and tired looking town.
- Billboard: “Debt relief.”
- Bank customer trading in coins: “I’ve been living on an inmate’s diet and was sitting on these coins the entire time.” One of the coins is from 1953 – is there meaning to that year?
- Bank customer during robbery: “This is crazy. You’re not even Mexican.”
- Foreshadowing: the bank customer starts shooting at them, foreshadowing of the gun-toting would-be-vigilantes later in the film.